Cristiano Ronaldo: the change to a 'number 9'
Ronaldo's move to centre-forward
Real Madrid's Club World Cup final win against valient Japanese side Kashima Antlers was another clear example of what's an open secret: Cristiano Ronaldo is turning into a number 9. The Portuguese striker was having a disastrous game, with a complete lack of energy in his runs (that used to be unstoppable), and only came into the match when he dedicated himself to playing in the box.
Ronaldo has to accept a diminished role in the build-up
If Cristiano is able to accept his diminishing role in build-up and focus entirely on scoring, he's going to use up a lot less energy, for the same reward.
Zidane has to help persuade Ronaldo
Zidane, who Cristiano utterly respects, is going to be decisive in persuading Ronaldo, and Real Madrid's fans need to get used to seeing another kind of player: less explosive, less spectacular, but just as lethal for the Spanish side. And, what's more, longer-lived.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United