Cristiano Ronaldo: the change to a 'number 9'
Ronaldo's move to centre-forward
Real Madrid's Club World Cup final win against valient Japanese side Kashima Antlers was another clear example of what's an open secret: Cristiano Ronaldo is turning into a number 9. The Portuguese striker was having a disastrous game, with a complete lack of energy in his runs (that used to be unstoppable), and only came into the match when he dedicated himself to playing in the box.
Ronaldo has to accept a diminished role in the build-up
If Cristiano is able to accept his diminishing role in build-up and focus entirely on scoring, he's going to use up a lot less energy, for the same reward.
Zidane has to help persuade Ronaldo
Zidane, who Cristiano utterly respects, is going to be decisive in persuading Ronaldo, and Real Madrid's fans need to get used to seeing another kind of player: less explosive, less spectacular, but just as lethal for the Spanish side. And, what's more, longer-lived.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS MLS 2020 play-offs: schedule, games and dates
- US News What did Trump say about Biden and voter fraud?
- AS AWARDS GALA 2020 Nadal: "Thank you for this award during these difficult times"
- Atlético Madrid Luis Suárez set to train after negative covid-19 test
- VICENTE JIMÉNEZ Everyone's success
- AS SPORTS AWARDS Casillas: "Zidane has earned the right to lead Real Madrid"