Demichelis reaches the end of the road at Espanyol
The Argentinean defender, who didn't participate in today's training session, will leave the club on Monday.Real Madrid-Espanyol
Martín Demichelis' days as an Espanyol player will come to an end on Monday. Coach Quique Sánchez Flores confirmed the news in last night's press conference after his side were held to a 1-1 draw by Deportivo. The first team squad were taken through a recovery workout at the club's training facilities this morning but Demichelis was absent.
The Argentinean's departure is the first movement in Espanyol's ranks during the winter transfer window. The club hopes to bring in at least one player but must dispense with another one to lower the wage bill. While Demichelis is on his way out, he earned a proportional part of his transfer fee from August to December, and so Espanyol are hardly making much of a saving and need another player off the pay roll.
Demichelis hardly figured during his five months in Cornellà - he has only feigured in the 3-3 draw with Eibar and a 10-minute appearance against Betis. The veteran defender, who was called up three times by Argentina during his time at Espanyol, watched as his relationship with the coach deteriorated.
Recommended in English
- NFL The Rams change ticket policy to restrict 49ers fans ahead of NFC Championship game
- NFL How did the Los Angeles Rams get their name? Origin and meaning
- NBA NBA round-up: Suns equal best-ever start, Garland matches LeBron in Cavs win
- NBA Lakers at Nets: times, TV and how to watch online, NBA 2021-22
- NBA NBA: Nets vs Lakers – injury news
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"