Two Spanish rock climbers killed after being struck by ice block in the French Alps
A large block of ice fell on top of the two climbers, a spokesman at Briançon Hospital announced. Emergency Services retrieved both bodies.
Tragic day in the Alps
Two Spanish rock climbers were killed in the French Alps today when they were struck by a huge ice block while attempting to scale the northerly face of La Meije, Briançon Hospital officials confirmed to EFE. Emergency rescue teams managed to locate and retrieve the bodies of the two climbers.
According to local newspaper Dauphiné Libéré, the accident occurred this afternoon close to Les Fréaux section. The identities of the victims has yet to bereleased.
Also today, four Italian climbers were killed and one injured in Gressoney-Saint-Jean in the Aosta Valley. They were killed when part of an ice sheet they were trying to scale fell away, Alpine Rescue officials said.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness