Tottenham Hotspur's attacking midfielder Erik Lamela will miss the rest of the season with a hip injury and is set to have surgery on Saturday to rectify the persistent problem.
The 25-year-old Argentina international, who joined from AS Roma in 2013, has not featured since October and, with two years left on his contract, has been linked with Inter Milan amongst with other clubs.
Surgery the best course of action
"Erik Lamela is to undergo surgery on his hip on Saturday. This will result in Erik returning to action next season," the Premier League club said in a statement on Wednesday.
"Following extensive consultation with specialists, surgery has been agreed by all as the best course of action."
Lamela, who had travelled to his former club Roma in January in a bid to accelerate his recovery from injury, has scored two goals in 14 appearances this season.
Rehab didn't do the trick
"The Argentina international has undergone a comprehensive rehabilitation process following the injury in November," the London club added.
"The player has achieved a good level of function, however he has been unable to reach the stage required to make a full return to training."
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS What's the difference between an Emmy and an Oscar award?
- US NEWS Body found in Wyoming fits the description of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito
- NFL Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. fined for a push
- NFL Kansas City Chiefs 35 vs Baltimore Ravens 36 summary: score, stats, and highlights | Week 2
- NFL The New Orleans Saints slump to defeat against Carolina Panthers
- NFL NY Jets QB Zach Wilson throws 4 interceptions in loss to Patriots