Chelsea seal fifth Premier League crown
After a dismal defence of the trophy last season, Chelsea's 1-0 win at West Brom sealed a dominant campaign and the Premier League title.
Chelsea's 1-0 win at West Brom on Friday secured the club's fifth Premier League title, a fitting reward for a remarkable first season under Antonio Conte. The Italian has masterminded a stunning return to the summit, after last season's defence of the 2014-15 crown saw Jose Mourinho sacked in December, the campaign ending in an embarrassing 10th-placed finish.
Chelsea left it late
They left it late at The Hawthorns, Michy Batshuayi's 82nd-minute strike eventually securing the victory to see the Blues move 10 points clear of Tottenham, who have three matches to play.
Change of formation the key to Chelsea success
Much of Chelsea's success this season can be attributed to Conte's switch to a 3-4-3 system following back-to-back defeats at the hands of Liverpool and Arsenal in September.
That change of formation prompted a 13-match winning run - a single-season Premier League record - which was ended with a 2-0 loss at Spurs in January.
Even with that defeat, Chelsea were still five points clear of the nearest challengers and their position at the top was never under serious threat despite a late charge from Tottenham.
Friday's victory at The Hawthorns marks what Chelsea hope will be the first leg of a double, with the FA Cup final against Arsenal at Wembley still to come on May 27.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption