Microphone in hand, and with fans chanting Olé olé olé Cholo Simeone! Diego Simeone addressed Atlético fans following today's 3-1 win over Athletic Club - the Rojiblancos' final official game to be played at the Vicente Calderón.
Simeone's speech after Atlético's last game at the Calderón
“First of all, I would like to express my gratitude and thanks for everything that has happened and everyone who has been involved at this football stadium – footballers, coaches, directors… who have constructed so many marvellous moments for all of our people. For you, the fans, the word ‘sentiment’ is something very profound. I think the rest of the clubs might have more money than us, or maybe a trophy or two more than us… but they will never have the sentiment and feelings which you have for this club.
“To end, you have been asking me whether I will be staying and the answer is yes, I’m staying (massive cheer). Do you know why I am staying? Because this club has a future – a future which we are all part of. Ciao!”
Recommended in English
- BOXING Fury tells Whyte to "step up and take beating" as fight talks go on
- NFL New York Giants sticking with Jones, rule out Watson move
- NFC Chiefs injury report: Tyrann Mathieu in concussion protocol
- NFL NFL free agency 2022: the five best available quarterbacks
- NFL An Eagle no more: Brandon Brooks retires
- NFL Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all set to be named Vikings GM