Griezmann accepts Atlético offer and will continue at the club
The Atlético Madrid striker will sign a new and improved contract and will remain at the club while Diego Costa, Sandro and Vitolo remain targets for the cluBChelsea - Barcelona U - 19 live: UEFA Youth League final
The Antoine Griezmann soap opera is over. The French striker will remain at Atlético Madrid despite contradictory statements in recent weeks. The 26-year-old has decided to accept Atlético's new contract that was offered to him three weeks ago when several offers from other clubs came flooding into Atlético Madrid's offices.
Other transfer targets
Griezmann will continue at the club knowing that they can not reinforce the squad but his presence will be decisive in attracting some of the names on Atlético's shopping list in January. Diego Costa, Vitolo and Sandro are very close to signing for the club and having their talisman in the squad will not do any harm in convincing them to sign in January.
Three months ago, Atlético and Griezmann put pen to paper on a new deal until 2021 with a €100 million release clause but they have been forced to up his salary again given the number of interested parties in the French man.
"Now more than ever. Atlético. All of us together," is what he tweeted when his decision was made when CAS revealed their decision. Sources close to AS have confirmed that Griezmann will now be at the club next season and Miguel Angel Gil's next job is to ensure Fernando Torres continues at the club.
Recommended in English
- GLOBAL NEWS How much money has baby shark made?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Francisco Gento, ‘The Gale of the Cantabrian Sea’
- NFL Seahawks fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team