Barcelona's 'fake' signing of ex-Liverpool player McLaughlin
The former-Liverpool FC youth player posted a photo of himself on social media at the Camp Nou holding a Barça shirt and added a message that sent Twitter crazy.
At first glance to many on Twitter it seemed as though Barcelona had snapped up Oldham Athletic's young defender who came through the Liverpool academy. However, this was not the case, and actually Ryan McLaughlin was just having some fun.
Liverpool to Oldham...to Barça!
The young Northern Ireland international had posted a picture of himself in the stands at the Camp Nou holding a Barça shirt and added the message: "New chapter. Thanks for the messages everyone buzzing to get started at such a big club like Barcelona. Honoured."
Of course, he was likely to know what the reaction would be and soon many more than just his Twitter followers would be seeing the image as English media sources jumped on the story, clearly enjoying the youngster's prank.
The 22-year old joined Oldham Athletic last year after loan spells at Aberdeen and Barnsley when on the books of the Anfield club. He has been on holiday with friends in the Catalan capital.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats