Muguruza to become world number one
Garbine Muguruza will dethrone Karolina Pliskova when the WTA rankings are released next week, after the Czech fell to CoCo Vandeweghe in the US Open.Nadal vs Thiem live online: 2018 French Open final
Spain's Garbine Muguruza will become world number one when the WTA rankings are released next week, dethroning Karolina Pliskova after the Czech fell to American CoCo Vandeweghe in the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open on Wednesday.
Wimbledon champion Muguruza pips Plistova
The 23-year-old Wimbledon champion reached the second week of the U.S. Open for the first time this year before falling to Petra Kvitova in the fourth round.
Muguruza, who won the French Open last year, ends Pliskova's eight-week reign at the top of the rankings, a position the big-serving 25-year-old admitted came with extra pressure to perform.
Muguruza has strong record against the best
Muguruza has eight top 10 wins this year including victories over two reigning number ones, Angelique Kerber at Wimbledon and Pliskova in Cincinnati.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze
- OLYMPIC GAMES Which Olympic boxer has won the most medals?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Megan Rapinoe could retire from USWNT after Olympic campaign