Newton's sexist remark sours yogurt sponsor deal
Yogurt maker Dannon said Thursday it will no longer work with Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton in the wake of a sexist remark by the NFL star to a woman reporter.Super Bowl 2018 live online: Patriots vs Eagles
Yogurt maker Dannon said Thursday it will no longer work with Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton in the wake of a sexist remark by the NFL star to a woman reporter.
Asked by Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue about teammate Devin Funchess and the way he runs pass routes, Newton said, "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes."
The stinging backlash came quickly, with Dannon's Oikos brand dropping Newton as a spokesman.
Dannon signed Newton to endorse the brand in 2015, the same year he led the Panthers into Super Bowl 50 where they lost to Denver.
Dannon's statement on Newton's sexist remark
"We are shocked and disheartened at the behavior and comments of Cam Newton towards Jourdan Rodrigue, which we perceive as sexist and disparaging to all women," said Michael Neuwirth, Dannon's senior director of external communications.
"It is entirely inconsistent with our commitment to fostering equality and inclusion in every workplace. It's simply not OK to belittle anyone based on gender. We have shared our concerns with Cam and will no longer work with him."
Newton also has endorsement deals with Under Armour, Gatorade and Beats by Dre.
Recommended in Nfl
- MLS LAFC back-to-back road victories after win over Austin FC
- GOLD CUP Will there be fans at the Gold Cup? What are the Covid-19 restrictions?
- Euro 2020 Golden Boot standings: who are the top scorers?
- PSG Ramos speaks after PSG make signing official
- UFC When was Conor McGregor's last UFC fight, and what was the result?
- UFC What were the results of McGregor vs Poirier 1 and 2?