ARGENTINA - PERU
Peruvian media accuse FIFA and Argentina of fixing World Cup qualifier
According to 'Todo Sport', senior figures within the AFA, FIFA, and CONMEBOL will ensure Argentine beat Peru at La Bombonera and progress to Russia 2018.
FIFA, AFA, CONMEBOL to conspire, says Todo Sport
"Cheats!", read the front page, accompanied by an image of Lionel Messi and the presidents of the Argentine Football Association (AFA), FIFA, and CONMEBOL. The newspaper assures that "the three will conspire to rob us of the match. The three will be in the official box."
The attacking on two governing bodies and a national association is flagrant and direct, adding heat to the build-up towards a crucial clash.
Infantino will not be at La Bombonera
Gianni Infantino, the president of FIFA, has been in Buenos Aires as a result of the joint bid from Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay to host the World Cup in 2030. Yet he will not be present at La Bombonera as Argentina host Peru.
There is a history of conspiracy between these two sides. In the 1978 World Cup, hosted and won by Argentina, La Albiceleste were accused of fixing a match against Peru that they ended up winning 6-0.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Why did WHO skip letter Xi and name Omicron the new covid variant?
- NFL What is Dak Prescott contract with Dallas Cowboys? salary and duration
- US NEWS Shooting in Oxford, Michigan high school: how many victims and who is the suspect?
- CHRISTMAS NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting: times, price tickets, TV and how to watch
- COVID-19 How many Covid-19 variants have been there besides Omicron? what are their differences?
- NFL Why are the Green Bay Packers called cheeseheads? What kind of cheese are the cheeseheads?