André Gomes denies criticising Messi and Valverde
The Portuguese midfielder has denied making derogatory comments about his manager and team-mate at Camp Nou.
Portugal face Switzerland on Tuesday with a place at the World Cup on the line. André Gomes is part of Fernando Santos' squad, and the Barcelona midfielder is irritated by statements that have been attributed to him.
Gomes dismissed quotations as 'made up'
The Portuguese newspaper Récord, picked up a statement from the magazine Don Balón in which Gomes allegedly said: "Messi was the player who decided the starting line-ups, not Valverde."
The player has denied the statement: "I haven't said anything against Messi or Valverde. It's made up."
The former-Valencia player was visibly annoyed, and added: "I have great respect for Valverde and Leo," according to local media.
Valverde has not put his faith in André Gomes
André Gomes has been given limited opportunities at Barcelona this season. The 24-year-old is yet to start a match, and has played just 38 minutes across five substitute appearances in LaLiga and the Champions League.
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many people will benefit from the Social Security increase in Texas?
- NFL Watt joins long list of players out for Packers vs Cardinals game
- International Soccer Mexico 2-3 Ecuador summary: score, goals, highlights, exhibition match
- SOCCER Ronald Koeman fired from FC Barcelona: who are the possible coaches that could replace him?
- Jokic won't miss extended time after knee injury vs. Jazz Tuesday
- MLB Braves vs. Astros live online, scores, stats and updates: World Series Game 2