Real Madrid's Carvajal will need another two weeks out
There are few injuries or illnesses about which the fans have asked me more than the pericarditis suffered by our much admired Dani Carvajal. From the word 'pericardial' alone it sounds like there may be cardiac damage, that is an injury to the heart. But nothing could be further from the truth. Of course nothing that affects a major organ should be taken lightly. But in the case of the Real Madrid's right back what we are dealing with is a viral infection of the think sac-like membrane surrounding the heart, and following his treatment plan the symptoms have almost completely disappeared. That said, the illness itself may not have completely resolved.
Carvajal to return to Real Madrid training in a couple of weeks
We've discussed on many occasions the need for rest in sport as being vital for medical issues to be cured, and above all to avoid a relapse caused by the player coming back too soon. This means Carvajal will continue under medical supervision for the time being. He's been at the Real Madrid Valdebebas training ground over the past few days, but he hasn't exercised at all, either with the group or on his own. And from the situation, and from my own medical experience with this type of illness, I'd say he won't train for at least another week or maybe two. But then he'll be back to the Carvajal we've always known.
Recommended in English
- BOXING Fury tells Whyte to "step up and take beating" as fight talks go on
- NFL New York Giants sticking with Jones, rule out Watson move
- NFC Chiefs injury report: Tyrann Mathieu in concussion protocol
- NFL NFL free agency 2022: the five best available quarterbacks
- NFL An Eagle no more: Brandon Brooks retires
- NFL Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all set to be named Vikings GM