Sevilla's Berizzo diagnosed with prostate cancer
The Andalusian side issued a statement later Wednesday and confirmed the news but have yet to outline the treatment their Argentine coach will undergo.
Sevilla FC announced that first team coach Eduardo 'Toto' Berizzo is suffering from prostrate cancer via a communique issued after the club faced Liverpool in the penultimate group game in the Champions League last night.
"The medical department of Sevilla FC inform that the club's head-coach Eduardo Berizzo, has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Future tests will dictate which line of treatment will be adopted", states the brief message.
Sevilla managed an amazing comeback last night at the Sanchez Pizjuan with a 93rd minute goal from Pizarro securing a vital Champions League point for the LaLiga outfit. The players celebrated devotedly with their coach in a gesture which indicated that they may have been made aware of his medical situation.
This is the second recent case of cancer in LaLiga recently with Athletic's Yeray Álvarez being diagnosed with testicular cancer at the end of 2016 and then relapsing in June 2017. The player recently returned to full training with the first team at the end of September.
Club president Pepe Castro is expected to talk to the media later during the day to offer more details on the situation.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22