Muguruza suffers injury setback ahead of Australian Open
The world number three beat Kiki Bertens in the Sydney International but later pulled out of the tournament due to a thigh injury.
Garbiñe Muguruza has withdrawn from the Sydney International due to injury less than a week before the Australian Open gets underway.
Cramps forced the Wimbledon champion to pull out of the Brisbane International last week and the 24-year-old retired in Sydney due to an issue with her right thigh.
Wildcard entry Muguruza beat Kiki Bertens 6-3 7-6 (8-6) on Wednesday, but it was later announced that she will not play in the quarter-finals.
Muguruza took a medical timeout after the third game against Bertens, but was able to continue and seal her first win of the season.
Muguruza struggling ahead of Melbourne
The Spaniard's latest setback comes just five days before the opening Grand Slam of the year starts in Melbourne.
She said in a statement: "I am disappointed but I have talked to the WTA doctors and my team after the match today and following their recommendation, I have to withdraw from the tournament,
"I have felt pain in my right adductor since I started practicing here. Yesterday I felt better and wanted to play. However, during the match today the pain has been there all the time but I wanted to compete. I want to thank the tournament and the fans in Sydney for their support."
Garbine Muguruza has withdrawn from her quarterfinals match due to a right thigh injury. The winner of Gavrilova/Stosur advances by walkover. #SydneyTennis— Sydney International (@SydneyTennis) January 10, 2018
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds