No change for Jan Oblak who has yet to renew with Atlético
Oblak explained his situation ahead of tonight's Eibar game. Atlético have not approached him on the issue. Liverpool, PSG and Arsenal are keen on the keeper.
Jan Oblak's contractual situation with Atlético Madrid continues as before with no changes, club sources explain. The Slovenian keeper is under contract until 2021 with a buy-out clause set at 100 million euros. Oblak spoke about his situation back on 13 January: "Renewing my contract? My current contract runs until 2021, but I haven't spoken to the club about it. I'm focusing on my job out on the pitch; whatever happens will happen but that won't depend on me alone".
But in the last few hours, comments made by Enrique Cerezo to Radio Marca raised a few eyebrows. When asked about the possibily of extending Oblak's contract, the president replied: "He's already renewed", indirectly aluding to the player's last contract renewal which was signed two years ago.
No news on Oblak's contract
It seems Atlético won't be making any advance to offer Oblak a new deal but the club is fully aware that numerous clubs are keen on the player and also that this summer, there is expected to be a lot of movement with goalkeepers in Europe. Liverpool are the most recent suitor to show an interest in the keeper - Arsenal and PSG have also stated an interest. PSG had hoped to table an offer for Oblak last summer and then again in January but were unable to due to FIFA's Financial Fair Play rules. At the time, the Ligue 1 club publicly aired their defence of Alphonse Areola but the young keeper didn't do himself any favours at the Bernabéu, only strengthening PSG's plan to bring in another keeper for next season. Juventus are also tracking Oblak and not just because Buffon is nearing the end of his career - they have been monitoring his progress since he was at Benfica and impressed when the two sides met in the Europa League.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- MLB trade deadline Yankees get Rizzo from Cubs, Schwarber to Red Sox
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 30: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- Tokyo Olympics: Fraser-Pryce dazzles but Ta Lou sets the standard in stunning women's sprint heats
- NBA Wizards reportedly trade Westbrook to LA Lakers in draft-night blockbuster