Real Madrid's Gareth Bale in Wales squad for China Cup
In the upcoming tournament that includes China, Wales, Uruguay and the Czech Republic, concerns are that it could have an impact on the Champions League quarter finals.
Gareth Bale has been named in the Wales squad by Ryan Giggs for the China Cup which is being played at the end of March, and there are some worries in the camp as it falls just days before the Champions League quarter finals.
China Cup for Bale
The tournament has been set up by the Chinese federation as part of the ongoing promotion of the sport in their country and 2018 is the second year in which it has been competed for. It will be held between 22 - 26 March and involves Wales, Uruguay, the Czech Republic and hosts, China.
A concern for Zinedine Zidane and those connected to Real Madrid is that the journey to return to Spain is over 12 hours, and as well as this time, there is also a risk of jet-lag with a difference of eight hours between countries. If Wales were to make it to the final of the small tournament there would be just a week between that and the first leg of the Champions League first leg.
Real Madrid ask for Bale rest
Gigg's new role will see his side face off against China on Thursday 22 March with a second game (either in the final or third place playoff) being concluded on Monday 26 March. Given the Welshman's recent fitness history, Madrid will hope he is used sparingly or, even better for the club, removed from the squad list entirely. The latter option is currently being pursued by Madrid officials with the Welsh FA.
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?