Giant-slaying Kasatkina upstages Venus to reach Indian Wells final
Daria Kasatkina reached her maiden Indian Wells decider after rallying past seven-time major winner Venus Williams 4-6 6-4 7-5.
Venus Williams became Daria Kasatkina's latest high-profile victim as the emerging Russian claimed a comeback win to book her spot in the Indian Wells Masters final.
Williams stunned by Russian young gun
Kasatkina reached her maiden Indian Wells decider after rallying to upstage former world number one and seven-time major champion Williams 4-6 6-4 7-5 on Friday.
The 20-year-old came into the semi-final contest full of confidence, having eliminated two-time grand slam champion Angelique Kerber, US Open winner Sloane Stephens and Australian Open champion Caroline Wozniacki.
And Kasatkina – a beaten finalist in Dubai last month – was at it again, prevailing after almost three hours against eight-seeded American star Williams, who was two points away from victory at 5-4 in the final set.
"A bit tired," Kasatkina said during her on-court interview. "I was missing these emotions after Dubai and I finally got it. "I don't know [how I turned it around].
"I'm ready, one match to go. Thank you guys, thank you so much."
Kasatkina will face either world number one Simona Halep or Naomi Osaka in the final.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Where was Gabby Petito's body found in Grand Teton National Park?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Vinicius and Benzema to the rescue
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- NFL Quarterback injuries overshadow Week 2 NFL action
- REAL MADRID Ancelotti: “I am living my honeymoon in Madrid"
- PREMIER LEAGUE African trio at Anfield make Premier League history for Liverpool