Materazzi: Roma have "nothing to lose" against Barcelona
Marco Materazzi does not expect Roma and Juventus to go further in the Champions League after being drawn against Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Roma having "nothing to lose" in their Champions League quarter-final clash with Barcelona, says former winner Marco Materazzi. The Giallorossi overturned a first-leg deficit against Ukrainian champions Shakhtar Donetsk to progress to the last eight on away goals, where they will face Ernesto Valverde's much-fancied Catalan outfit. Materazzi, who was part of the Inter team that beat Bayern Munich in the 2010 final, believes that having defied the odds in the round of 16, Eusebio Di Francesco's side should just enjoy the experience of reaching this stage for the first time in a decade.
Roma should just go out and enjoy the quarter final
"Roma have already made a little miracle," the 44-year-old told Omnisport, speaking courtesy of Hublot. "Not many were thinking they would have won versus Shakhtar, but they did it. Now they have nothing to lose against Barcelona, and they should just enjoy the next couple of games. The pressure will be on Barca."
Barcelona and Real Madrid, favourites to make the semis
As well as backing Barça to progress over the two legs, Materazzi also expects Real Madrid to prevail against Juventus in a repeat of last season's final. "I see the two Spanish sides [as] favourites to win the Champions League," he added. "Real and Barca are used to playing and winning in the Champions League. I give them 51 per cent [chance] to go through versus 49 per cent for the Italians."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In