Real Madrid - Juventus: Benatia on Vázquez not a penalty
Michael Oliver penalised Medhi Benatia for a foul on Vázquez to allow Ronaldo to score from the penalty spot. AS's resident ref says he made the wrong call. LAFC vs LA Galaxy: Vela vs Zlatan live online, MLS week 25
Real Madrid limped through to the semi-final of the Champions League after a last-gasp Cristiano Ronaldo penalty against Juventus secured a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Benatia contact on Vázquez 'not enough'
English referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot in the third minute of added time after Juventus centre-half Medhi Benatia appeared to shove Lucas Vázquez.
Yet according to AS's resident referee, Eduardo Iturralde, it was the wrong decision. "The contact from behind wasn't enough," Iturralde said, "he shouldn't have blown for a penalty".
Pandemonium ensued after Oliver had pointed to the spot, and Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon was sent off for protesting. The Bernabéu gave a standing ovation to Buffon following a sour end to what is likely to be his final Champions League appearance for Juve. Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo kept his calm to tuck the penalty in to the top corner and send Madrid to the semi-final.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS When did Cyber Monday originate? What is Cyber Monday?
- NFL What is the Dallas Cowboys best record in franchise history?
- NFL Seattle vs. Washington live online: stats, scores and highlights | NFL Week 11
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- Belichick vindicated once more as Jackson builds DPOY case
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats