New Hamilton deal "agreed in principle" for Mercedes
Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda is confident that Lewis Hamilton will sign a new contract with the team.
Lewis Hamilton has agreed in principle to sign a contract extension at Mercedes, according to team chairman Niki Lauda. Formula One champion Hamilton's current deal expires at the end of the season, but he told the media earlier this month that he "will not be rushed" on a renewal. However, Lauda has now revealed that talks are progressing well and expects a formal agreement to be made once the final details are ironed out.
Money not an issue
"It's just about the details," the Mercedes man told Auto Motor und Sport. "Lewis will continue to drive for us. Depending on the mood, [the contract] is sometimes more or less expensive - it always depends on how the last race went. But the money is not a problem. We agree in principle."
Hamilton has endured a difficult start to the season as he waits on his first win after three races, finishing second, third and then fourth.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?