Sevilla sporting director ousted but Montella remains in charge after Copa humiliation
Almost a year after replacing Monchi, Oscar Arias will be replaced at the end of the season but Italian, Vincenzo Montella, will continue at the club.
Sevilla's Board of Directors held a meeting in which it was decided that Vincenzo Montella would remain in charge of the team into next season, although the decision was taken that Óscar Arias, current director sports and Monchi's replacement, will finish in his role at the end of the campaign.
Jose Castro, the president of Sevilla, spoke after the meeting that reportedly went on for a number of hours and said, "The Board of Directors has taken the decision that the sports director, Oscar Arias, will leave at the end of the league. He will carry out other responsibilities. The club are already working to find his replacement."
On Montella, he said, "We feel that with reinforcements and with support, we are confident that he will take us to Europe. We have transmitted our confidence in him."
Castro said that the team did not train on Monday and that they simply spoke to get things cleared up and to figure out a way forward. Montella has won 19 points out of a possibele 48 since joining the club but got the team to the Champions League quarter-final with a historic victory over Manchester United.
They were hammered in the Copa del Rey final on Saturday night and Montella's job was called into question but the club have made moves to rectify what direction they plan on taking.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement