Buffon hit with UEFA charges after Madrid fury
Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon's incendiary reaction to Champions League elimination at Real Madrid means he will face UEFA action.
Gianluigi Buffon has been charged by UEFA following the Juventus goalkeeper's red card and subsequent furious reaction during last month's Champions League quarter-final defeat to Real Madrid.
The Juventus shot-stopper lost the plot during and after Real Madrid's victory over the Italian side in the Champions League quarter-final. Referee, Michael Oliver, awarded Real Madrid a penalty late on in the game when Mehdi Benatia bundled Lucas Vazquez over in the box. Cristiano Ronaldo converted the penalty and los Blancos won the tie 4-3.
Buffon said Oliver "has a rubbish bin where his heart should be" after the game. Buffon was praised by some with many suggesting there was no other way to react including manager Massimiliano Allegri. Others, such as Alessandro Del Piero, were critical of the keeper in what might have been his last ever game in the Champions League.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In