Klopp singles out Marcelo as a weakness in Real Madrid side
It's strange to see Klopp single out Marcelo as Real Madrid's weakness in defence. It's not exactly a revelation, as those who watch Madrid regularly will know that the Brazilian is excellent going forward but does have lapsus at the back and he's not dissimilar to his predecessor Roberto Carlos. The former left-back caused major headaches for Del Bosque with Zidane in the ranks and Roberto Carlos covering every blade of grass from corner to corner and in the modern version of Real Madrid it's Marcelo who carries out the role as Cristiano has now moved into a more central role in the attack.
It's true that his flank is more prone to opponents attacking and the Bayern Munich goal at the Allianz Arena in the first leg of the semi-final is a case in point: Madrid cleared the ball, Marcelo chased it as Bayern earned a throw-in which they took quickly and the passage of subsequent play ended up with Kimmich scoring. Why did Marcelo feel the need to chase the ball down? Quite simply the Brazilian likes to play with the ball and in this case he miscalculated things. Although he may be a little suspect in defensive duties he provides a major attacking threat for opposition sides.
Focus on Marcelo
Klopp, this week has stated that his side plan to attack the flank governed by Marcelo. Why has he gone on record with this comment? There is certainly a degree of code in his message. Will this prompt Zidane to order Marcelo to remain in a more defensive role and not venture forward so much as it's true that many of the goals conceded by the Bernabeu outfit have come from the left side this season but by the same token, the left flank and Marcelo in particular has been a source of assists and goals. When the time of reckoning comes about on Saturday, the left hand side of the pitch will see plenty of activity with Marcelo undoubtedly being involved in much of the action and I suspect that the comment by the German coach was an attempt to add a touch of pressure to the Brazilian international.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August