Drenthe back in the game after Sparta Rotterdam trial
The former Real Madrid winger, who retired from football for a career in music, has been handed a contract by the Eerste Divisie side.
Sparta Rotterdam have handed former Real Madrid winger Royston Drenthe a contract after a successful trial period at the Eerste Divisie club.
Sparta, who were relegated from the Eredivisie last season, had offered Drenthe a trial and have been impressed with the 31-year-old’s form.
“In the two weeks that Royston has been with us, he has proven himself to be very useful,” said Henk van Stee, Sparta’s director of football. “He is in form, very motivated and he hasn’t forgotten how to play football.”
Drenthe: "I have rediscovered my love for football quickly at Sparta"
Drenthe’s career took a downward spiral after his move to Madrid from Feyenoord in 2007, taking him from the Premier League to the English Championship via Russia and Turkey before he eventually decided to retire from the game after a brief stint in the UAE.
Declaring himself tired of football, Drenthe embarked on a career as a rapper under the name of Roya2Faces but has now returned to football and stated that he is now fully focused on his new club. “Over the last few years I wasn’t enjoying playing but I have rediscovered my love for football quickly at Sparta. I’m very grateful to the club for this opportunity and I hope I can help us to get promoted,” Drenthe said.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August