Copenhagen Formula 1 race plan ditched
The decision came after a lack of support from the authorities in the Danish capital for the proposed addition to the calendar.
Denmark has scrapped plans to host a Formula One race in Copenhagen, the country’s Finance Minister, Kristian Jensen, said on Friday.
According to Jensen, the decision to shelve the plans to host a race around the streets of Copenhagen in 2020 was made due to a lack of support from the city authorities.
The idea of a Copenhagen Gran Prix was first mooted last July, by a consortium led by Danish business magnate Lars Seier Christensen.
According to Pitpass.com, a 2.79-mile track had been proposed, including a corner in front of the Christiansborg parliament, a 300 km/h straight over the Knippelsbro bridge and a fast stretch along the Slotsholmsgade road.
Copenhagen not willing to contribute
Despite enthusiasm on the part of Formula 1 and the Danish government, the project ran into problems over funding.
“The government is prepared to put some money into the hosting of Formula 1 in Denmark,” Jensen said. “But we don't think it's reasonable that the city where such a large event is to take place does not also contribute economically.”
Formula 1 is expected to introduce races in Argentina, the Netherlands and Vietnam over the next few seasons, as well as a Grand Prix in Miami.