Andrew Strauss steps down as ECB director of cricket
The former England captain’s resignation comes four months after he took a break to support his wife in her fight against cancer.
Andrew Strauss has stepped down as England’s director of cricket following a spell of compassionate leave, the 41-year-old announced on Wednesday.
Four months ago, the former England captain had taken a break after his wife, Ruth, was diagnosed with cancer.
Andy Flower, who had been replacing Strauss since May, will continue as an interim until December, when the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announces a permanent replacement.
Strauss: “Three and a half incredible years”
Strauss will remain at the ECB but with a more flexible role that will see him assist chief executive Tom Harrison identify a full-time replacement for the director of cricket position.
'After three-and-a-half incredible years with the ECB, I have taken the difficult decision to step down from my role as director of England cricket,' the former opening batsman said in a statement.
Next year England will host the 50-over World Cup as well as the ashes series against Australia, and Strauss said his replacement will play a vital role during this period.
'Next year is potentially the most important the game has had in this country, with the World Cup on home soil and a home Ashes series, and we have an incredible opportunity to do something special,' Strauss added.
'It's vital that the director of cricket can give consistent guidance and support to England Cricket through this period.'
Strauss was appointed England’s director of cricket following the team’s dire campaign at the 2015 World Cup.
His first task was to sack coach Peter Moores, appointing Trevor Bayliss as a replacement.
He was also in charge of easing restrictions on England players taking part in the Indian Premier League, a move seen as positive by many.
“Andrew has brought enormous credibility, measured thinking, strong leadership and exceptional insight and we have been extremely fortunate to have worked so closely with him for the last three-and-a-half years,” Harrison said.
“He has improved the ways we work and set the direction for the men’s Test, one-day and T20 teams. He deserves huge respect for the way he has managed his role, fully supported Ruth and their boys and calmly considered this decision.”