Real Madrid had Pedro until injury put signing on hold
The sporting director of Fluminense explained in LANCE! that Los Blancos had made the required offer to take Pedro Guilherme to Madrid.
After AS revealed Real Madrid's intentions a little over a month ago, it is clear that the Spanish club are still on alert for another Brazilian: Pedro Guilherme. The 21-year-old striker is currently at Fluminense, who have 50% of the player's rights, and their sporting director Paulo Angioni has confirmed that the signing was at an advanced stage before the player's injury put a halt to proceedings.
Pedro injury halted Madrid transfer
"I believe there was a plan in place for a possible Pedro sale. It's obvious that the injury was an obstruction, in a big way. Not only in the transfer market, but also for the team, where we have lost an attacker of his size for a specific position. Moreover, it hindered the future deal. This setback forced us to look for another type of income, since the money for the transfer was, in theory, conditioned.
"It did not materialise due to this misfortune. Of course, it would have meant financial peace until the end of the year. If he had not been injured, I believe he would have been sold," Angioni stated to LANCE! magazine.
Pedro still on the cards for Madrid
Importantly, the director also gave his views on a potential future transfer to Madrid following the operation to fix his right knee.
"His signing can still go ahead," he said, "It makes sense. He's very young, the surgery was successful, and he has surprised us in the first phase of his recovery.
"I think his time out of the game will be shorter than originally forecasted."
Another important factor reported by LANCE! was confirmation that Real Madrid had bid the transfer price required for the Fluminense player. His contract currently runs until 2021 and there is a release clause of 50 million euros.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?