Atlético Madrid: VAR smiles on Simeone's side for the first time
Diego Simeone's side had not been awarded a penalty since last April but the eye in the sky intervened to hand Griezmann a spot-kick after Kiko Olivas handled.
Atlético Madrid were awarded a penalty for the first time this season in Valladolid after Antoine Griezmann’s shot struck the arm of Kiko Olivas late in the first half. Match referee Undiano Mallenco received the word from the VAR officials and after studying the reply pointed to the spot.
Griezmann made no mistake as he fired into the roof of the net to hand Atlético a 2-0 lead, which Valladolid would pull back before the Frenchman hit a third late on.
It was the first time since the introduction of VAR in LaLiga that Atlético have profited from a decision from above and a little bit of redemption for the video officials after the failure to spot Marcelo’s hand on Koke’s cross during the Madrid derby in week seven of the season.
VAR the star for Atlético in Valladolid
The penalty also marked the first time Griezmann had had an opportunity from 12 yards since last April, when Atlético were awarded two in a match against Alavés.
And the visitors were grateful again for the intervention of the VAR officials late on in Valladolid, when the home side were denied a penalty with Atlético leading 3-2. Nacho had delivered a cross into the area and Santiago Arias appeared to connect with his arm as he leaped to block, but the officials decided there was not sufficient contact to award a spot-kick.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 6
- NFL Ravens' John Harbaugh thinks Jackson critique misses point
- NFL Which NFL players have 'gone broke' after their career?
- SOCCER Real Madrid team news, possible starting XI against Shakhtar
- NBA NBA 21/22 season: How much does a cheerleader earn?
- MLB Astros vs. Red Sox live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series