Real Madrid outraged at VAR booth celebration
Manuel Montoro was the VAR for Eibar - Real Madrid and appeared to celebrate confirming a goal against Madrid.
Real Madrid have started a campaign against the VAR. The club finished Sunday's match against Real Sociedad enraged at Manuel Montero, the referee, and Melero López, the VAR, who denied what appeared to be a clear penalty when Rulli brought down Vincius. Manuera didn't give it and Melero López said nothing, meaning the incident wasn't replayed. After the match Real Madrid players and staff heavily criticised the officials' actions, and today, Monday, Real Madrid have continued their crusade.
Real Madrid release VAR footage
RealMadrid Television have released footage from Eibar - Real Madrid of Munuera Montero - the referee for the game against Real Sociedad - who was the VAR at Ipurua. In the 15th minute of the match, Escalante opened the scoring after a failed Ceballos clearance. The goal was reviewed by the VAR for a possible offside by Cucurella, with a final decision that the goal should stand.
In the footage released by RealMadrid Television, Manuera Montero in the VAR booth can be seen high-giving his fellow officials after giving the goal to Eibar, behaviour which the club's TV channel roundly criticised as appearing to be anti-Real Madrid. The possibility that it was simply officials congratulating themselves on doing their job well was not considered.
At the time of the incident, this newspaper's resident referee, Iturralde González, opined that the goal was legal and the VAR had reached the right decision.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS In which states did unemployment claims increase last week?
- CONSTITUTION DAY When was the US Constitution signed?
- US NEWS How will Biden respond to the wave of migrants gathered under a Texas bridge?
- NFL New York Giants 29 vs 33 Washington Football Team summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2
- NFL Nick Gates breaks leg, New York Giants offensive linesman suffers fracture vs Washington
- MLB Angels’ Ohtani’s arm sore, may miss rest of season as pitcher