Lautaro Martínez: Betis keen on loan deal for Inter striker
The Argentina international is not featuring heavily for the Serie A club and Betis are considering a move to solve their problems in front of goal.
Real Betis are in the market for a striker in the January window and have set their sights on Inter and Argentina forward Lautaro Martínez.
Martínez is not enjoying considerable playing time at the Serie A club, where he has made 16 appearances this season and started just four league games, and may be open to a six-month loan to rectify that situation but Inter are not overly enthused by the idea of loaning a player the club invested 14 million euros in just last summer and if he does become available Betis can expect stiff competition for his services.
According to Argentinean broadcaster TyC Sports, Betis sporting director Lorenzo Serra Ferrer has been in touch with Inter about Martínez but faces not only the task of persuading the Serie A club to agree to a loan but also making space for him in Quique Setién’s squad. With the arrival of Diego Lainez from Club América, Betis have a full quota of non-EU players and will have to offload one.
Betis boss Setién wants more firepower
The Betis coach said after his side’s 2-1 defeat by Real Madrid that he would like another striker to up the goals-for tally, Betis having scored just 22 in 19 league games so far with midfielders Giovani Lo Celso and Sergio Canales leading the way with four each.
Sergio León is the likely fall guy if a striker comes in at the Villamarín, the Spaniard having made only six appearances in the league this season, and Valencia are reportedly considering a loan bid for the 30-year-old. If a move for Martínez fails to bear fruit, Betis are also keeping tabs on Lucas Pérez, who has been sparingly used by West Ham since his summer move from Arsenal.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness