Athletic Bilbao hand Gaizka Garitano a permanent contract
The former reserve team manager has been rewarded for overseeing a stunning reversal in Athletic Bilbao's fortunes with a new deal.
Athletic Bilbao have extended head coach Gaizka Garitano's contract until the end of the 2019-20 campaign, the club have confirmed.
The 43-year-old has overseen a stunning resurgence from the LaLiga side since taking over from Eduardo Berizzo on December 4.
Berizzo was relieved of his duties after the club followed up a victory in their opening match of the season with a winless run spanning 13 league games.
However, Garitano has since overseen nine wins, five draws and only two defeats in LaLiga.
That run has propelled Athletic into the race for a Champions League qualification place. They are four points behind fourth-place Getafe, who they visit on Sunday.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What has Biden said about Justice Breyer's replacement on the Supreme Court?
- SIGA SIGA Global Mentorship Program creating the next generation of female leaders
- NFL How many Super Bowls have the San Francisco 49ers won?
- NFL Chiefs fans donate $223K to Buffalo hospital to mark win vs Bills
- NBA Statue of Kobe and Gianna Bryant erected at crash site
- NBA Giannis admits Cavs deserves greater respect after Bucks win