San Siro: Inter and AC Milan's ground to be demolished
Paolo Scaroni, AC Milan president, has said the famous stadium - which they share with Inter - is to be knocked down and a new one built on the same land.
AC Milan and Inter are moving ahead with plans to demolish their famous San Siro stadium, Rossoneri president Paolo Scaroni has claimed.
Commonly known as San Siro for the district of Milan in which it is situated, the Giuseppe Meazza stadium is one of the most iconic grounds in European football.
It hosted matches at the 1990 World Cup, while it has also been the setting of four European Cup and Champions League finals, the most recent of which being in 2016, when Real Madrid beat Atletico Madrid 5-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.
Despite its status in world football, San Siro has long been regarded as in need of refurbishment, but the two Milan clubs are planning to rebuild it completely instead with a new stadium planned for completion by 2022 at a cost of some 700 million euros.
Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Scaroni said: "Everything is proceeding.
"We will make a new San Siro together"
The San Siro, one of football's most iconic venues, is set to be demolished 💔 pic.twitter.com/gT83ASrSY4— B/R Football (@brfootball) 24 June 2019
"We will make a new San Siro together, next to the old one in the same area of land. The old man will be knocked down and in its place there will be new buildings built."
Scaroni was speaking in Lausanne, Switzerland, ahead of the Olympic Committee's selection of the hosts for the 2026 Winter Olympics on Monday.
Milan is a candidate city and Scaroni dreams of seeing the new San Siro host the opening ceremony.
"It's an extremely complicated process," Scaroni added. "It would be beautiful to have the Olympics' opening ceremony in the new San Siro, but we are not certain."
The stadium was officially opened in 1926, with Milan taking up residence straight away.
Milan and Inter have shared the ground since 1947.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August