Real Madrid: Totti offered role as club ambassador, say reports
Francesco Totti, who Real Madrid twice tried to sign as a player, has reportedly been approached by Los Blancos over a possible ambassadorial role.
Roma legend Francesco Totti has always said that Real Madrid were the only club that came close to luring him away from the Stadio Olimpico, having twice sought to sign him during his playing days: first in 2001, and then again in 2004. He has also revealed that his decision to stay at the Giallorossi throughout his illustrious, 24-year senior career prompted Bernabéu president Florentino Pérez to tell him in 2016 that he was "the only player who ever said no to Madrid."
Now that Totti, 42, has left his role as a director at Roma as result of his problems with club chief James Pallotta, however, the former Italy star could finally be set to work with the LaLiga giants.
Totti said to be giving Madrid role serious thought
Italian newspapers Corriere della Sera and Gazzetta dello Sport have today both reported that Madrid have offered Totti a position as a club ambassador, and that the World Cup winner is giving the proposal serious thought. He is also reported to have opportunities at the Italian FA, at Sampdoria and in Qatar, but it is claimed that he feels he has unfinished business with Madrid.
"I could be interested in working with a team in Europe"
In his biography, Totti spoke of his hesitation over what to do when Madrid came calling for him, even going as far as to declare that there is "another, parallel universe" in which he wore the captain's armband at the 13-time European champions. Yesterday, he said: "I'm considering several different ideas; I could be interested in working with a team [elsewhere] in Europe."
In the Italian media, there is a little doubt about which team he is talking about...
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?