Leagues Cup to expand to 16 teams for the 2020 edition
As of the second edition of the Leagues Cup tournament, the number of clubs from the Major League Soccer and Liga MX will double.
This season sees the start of a new tournament - the Leagues Cup, with MLS and Liga MX clubs coming face to face. The competition gets underway on 23 July with four clubs from each league contesting the trophy. Theb second edition, to take place next year, will feature 16 teams.
"Major League Soccer and Liga MX restate today the strength of their alliance, announcing the Leagues Cup format will expand from eight teams in 2019 to 16 teams in 2020 for the new annual tournament between the two major football leagues of North America," reads the press release.
Leagues Cup teams qualification
For the Mexican representatives, the 2019 Apertura champion, Clausura 2020, as well as the winner of the 2019-20 MX Cup will be included; the remaining five places will be given to the top five clubs in the year standings and are not the said winners.
On the MLS side, they will be the best four in the Eastern Conference and the other four in the West throughout the year, although there will be the condition of not playing the Concacaf Champions League.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Bundesliga Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich Preview
- Coronavirus: football Lyon president pleads for Ligue 1 2019/2020 season to resume
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: what's the latest news on the HEROES payment?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: is White House moving for it to arrive soon?