Inter Miami look set to make first signing
The 2020 MLS expansion team are reportedly close to recruiting their first player, with the signing to presented by the end of the month.
So much has been said about who will become the first signing of David Beckham's MLS team, with names like Luis Suárez, Robert Lewandowski or even Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi mentioned in connection with the 2020 expansion team. However, Inter Miami's maiden recruit may prove to be not quite such a marquee name.
According to the Argentine newspaper El Dia, 19-year-old Estudiantes winger Matias Pellegrini is undergoing a medical with Inter Miami with a view to joining in a deal worth about $10 million. The player would remain with the Argentine club until Miami's inaugural season in 2020.
Paul McDonough, Inter Miami sporting director, recently announced they would reveal the first signings by the end of the month, although he didn't give a specific date.
The young Argentine player concluded his first season with Estudiantes recently, making 17 appearances, with three goals and one assist. Pellegrini usually plays on the left and has been called up by the U17 and U20 Argentina national teams.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Mexico to battle for bronze in Olympic softball
- OLYMPIC GAMES What the USWNT needs to advance to the quarter-finals at Tokyo 2020
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Who is in the USA golf team at the Tokyo Olympics 2021?