Özil in the frame to replace Rooney at DC United
The DC United captain will say goodbye to the MLS once the season's over, and the Washington franchise is already working on getting the marquee name that would fill the gap.
Wayne Rooney, DC United captain and star, will depart the MLS franchise at the end of the season to join Derby County as a player-coach in January, which is why the Washington side is already looking to fill the huge gap he will leave.
DC has its eyes set on German attacking midfielder Mesut Özil, whose future looks unclear at Arsenal after he fell out of favor under coach Unai Emery and is now far from being a guaranteed starter for the Gunners.
According to Washington Post journalist Steven Goff, Özil could be Rooney's replacement with the German's representatives set to meet with DC United officials next week in Washington.
Özil could join the MLS from the second half of the Premier League season, staying at the Emirates Stadium until January, where his current contract expires in 2021.
With Rooney gone, Özil could become the marquee name DC United fans would expect to join after the ex-Man United star moves on. Although the German wizard earns around 350,000 pounds a week, the U.S. league is one of the few places that could afford to pay such an amount.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, stimulus calculator | Live
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: what is the Californian strain; is it more dangerous and contagious?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: how you might save $3,100 in taxes with the new payment?
- US News Why has Biden rescinded the Trump’s apprenticeship program?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: can the payment be approved in the House vote on Friday?
- GAMING PlayStation State of Play February: times, stream and how to watch for new PS4 & PS5 games