Özil in the frame to replace Rooney at DC United
The DC United captain will say goodbye to the MLS once the season's over, and the Washington franchise is already working on getting the marquee name that would fill the gap.
Wayne Rooney, DC United captain and star, will depart the MLS franchise at the end of the season to join Derby County as a player-coach in January, which is why the Washington side is already looking to fill the huge gap he will leave.
DC has its eyes set on German attacking midfielder Mesut Özil, whose future looks unclear at Arsenal after he fell out of favor under coach Unai Emery and is now far from being a guaranteed starter for the Gunners.
According to Washington Post journalist Steven Goff, Özil could be Rooney's replacement with the German's representatives set to meet with DC United officials next week in Washington.
Özil could join the MLS from the second half of the Premier League season, staying at the Emirates Stadium until January, where his current contract expires in 2021.
With Rooney gone, Özil could become the marquee name DC United fans would expect to join after the ex-Man United star moves on. Although the German wizard earns around 350,000 pounds a week, the U.S. league is one of the few places that could afford to pay such an amount.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES Covid-19 vaccines: what does 95% efficacy mean?
- BOXING How is Mayweather family life? Wife, sons, daughters
- 2021 TAX SEASON Tax Deadline 2021: how to file an extension
- TAX DAY 2021 Tax Filing 2021: what happens if I don’t file before the deadline?
- Boxing At what age did Floyd Mayweather retire from professional boxing?
- NBA NBA Play-In 2021: can teams from different conferences face each other?