Özil in the frame to replace Rooney at DC United
The DC United captain will say goodbye to the MLS once the season's over, and the Washington franchise is already working on getting the marquee name that would fill the gap.
Wayne Rooney, DC United captain and star, will depart the MLS franchise at the end of the season to join Derby County as a player-coach in January, which is why the Washington side is already looking to fill the huge gap he will leave.
DC has its eyes set on German attacking midfielder Mesut Özil, whose future looks unclear at Arsenal after he fell out of favor under coach Unai Emery and is now far from being a guaranteed starter for the Gunners.
According to Washington Post journalist Steven Goff, Özil could be Rooney's replacement with the German's representatives set to meet with DC United officials next week in Washington.
Özil could join the MLS from the second half of the Premier League season, staying at the Emirates Stadium until January, where his current contract expires in 2021.
With Rooney gone, Özil could become the marquee name DC United fans would expect to join after the ex-Man United star moves on. Although the German wizard earns around 350,000 pounds a week, the U.S. league is one of the few places that could afford to pay such an amount.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro and Valverde form the ideal midfield partnership
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey draw: 2019/20 first-round pairings revealed
- ENGLAND England: Southgate believes Sterling tweet brought closure to Gomez incident
- BARCELONA Rakitic: Barcelona turn down Premier League offer
- Serie A Manchester United: Koulibaly not planning on Napoli departure
- Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal