Rooney wants to round off MLS journey with the league title
Wayne Rooney will join Derby County in a player-coach deal once the US league season is over in January, but first he wants to win the 2019 MLS Cup.
There are nine games left in the regular season, and maybe a playoff run for DC United and Wayne Rooney, and after the announcement that he is to join Derby County, questions have surfaced around it which the Englishman clarified in an interview with the Black-and-Reds' website.
The still DC United captain said this transition is important for him for the next step in his career, as he wants to go back to England to be around family and friends, but the 33-year-old attacker is determined to take the Washington side to the MLS Cup.
"The last few games haven't been good enough, but we're in a position where we can still rise up the table and even have a shot at finishing first in the Eastern Conference. We have to believe in ourselves. We have to show confidence that we can do that. And if we do that, at our best, we know we're capable of beating anyone," he said.
Rooney has 11 goals and seven assists in 22 matches with DC United, leading the MLS franchise on and off the field, which is why he's committed to its fanbase and wants to conclude his path in the MLS by being the last team standing in the 2019 MLS Cup playoffs.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS When will Joe Biden's American Rescue Plan be approved?
- REAL MADRID Monaco interested in Real Madrid defender Marcelo
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King Day: what did MLK do and how did he die?
- UNITED STATES $2,000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live
- US NEWS Martin Luther King Jr Day: most famous quotes & speeches
- US POLITICS Biden-Harris reveal inauguration playlist: songs and where to listen