Rooney wants to round off MLS journey with the league title
Wayne Rooney will join Derby County in a player-coach deal once the US league season is over in January, but first he wants to win the 2019 MLS Cup.
There are nine games left in the regular season, and maybe a playoff run for DC United and Wayne Rooney, and after the announcement that he is to join Derby County, questions have surfaced around it which the Englishman clarified in an interview with the Black-and-Reds' website.
The still DC United captain said this transition is important for him for the next step in his career, as he wants to go back to England to be around family and friends, but the 33-year-old attacker is determined to take the Washington side to the MLS Cup.
"The last few games haven't been good enough, but we're in a position where we can still rise up the table and even have a shot at finishing first in the Eastern Conference. We have to believe in ourselves. We have to show confidence that we can do that. And if we do that, at our best, we know we're capable of beating anyone," he said.
Rooney has 11 goals and seven assists in 22 matches with DC United, leading the MLS franchise on and off the field, which is why he's committed to its fanbase and wants to conclude his path in the MLS by being the last team standing in the 2019 MLS Cup playoffs.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Zidane leaves out Rodrygo, Odriozola, Brahim and Mariano
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp 'gets' Guardiola gag about Liverpool having won the title
- MLS Josef Martinez: De Boer fears 'serious' injury for Atlanta striker
- BARCELONA Barça inquest begins as team "loses its soul" in Granada
- THE BEST Van Dijk favourite to collect FIFA 'The Best' award in Milan
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Goal-shy Atlético with only seven goals in six games