AZ Alkmaar: AFAS Stadion collapses in strong winds
Gales in the Dutch city have caused a huge chunk of the Eredivisie side's stadium to come down, but fortunately it was empty at the time.
Strong winds in Alkmaar have caused a section of the Eredivisie side’s AFAS Stadion to collapse.
The Netherlands was hit with very high winds on Saturday and the AFAS Stadion, which was constructed in 2006, fell victim to the elements as a huge chunk of roof came crashing down in the Molenaar Stand.
Alkmaar's Europa League fixture postponed
Fortunately, the 17,000-seater stadium was empty at the time with Arne Slot’s side due to play RKC Waalwijk away on Sunday.
However, Alkmaar’s fixture against FC Mariupol in the third qualifying round of the Europa League, which is scheduled to be played in the AFAS Stadion next Thursday, will now be postponed.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics