Areola: "I can't deal with the smallest doubt over my commitment"
Real Madrid keeper Alphonse Areola has attracted criticism for posing for a smiling photo with his former colleagues after Wednesday's defeat to PSG.
Real Madrid substitute goalkeeper Alphonse Areola has courted controversy after posing for a smiling photograph with former Paris Saint-Germain team-mates in the wake of Los Blancos' Champions League defeat to the Frenchmen on Wednesday.
The summer signing took to Instagram to apologise after the criticism and he took the chance to explain himseld to Madrid fans who felt offended:
Dear Real Madrid fans, I feel sad for some comments about a photo on social media. I want all Madridistas to know that my heart has been white since I signed for this club and I can't put up with even the slightest doubt about my commitment, my motivation, my loyalty to Real Madrid, our Real Madrid. The loss yesterday affected me the same as it did the rest of us in this big family.
After the game, I met up with my former teammates and friends, who didn't have time to say goodbye to me when I left. I reiterate my apologies to Madridistas who feel offended, it wasn't my wish and I hope that together we can have a lot of success. Hala Madrid.
Smiling Areola poses with Choupo-Moting, Mbappé
Areola, who joined Madrid on a year-long loan from PSG in the summer, appeared in the photo alongside strikers Éric-Maxim Choupo-Moting and Kylian Mbappé, who were both visibly ecstatic at the Ligue 1 champions' 3-0 win at the Parc des Princes.
Posted on social media by Choupo-Moting, Areola has attracted online criticism from unhappy Real Madrid supporters over the image - particularly given the 13-time European champions' poor performance in the comprehensive loss.
Di María brace downs Madrid in French capital
A brace by ex-Real Madrid winger Ángel di María was followed by a late Thomas Meunier goal as PSG beat Zinedine Zidane's men in the sides' Group A opener.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August