Canada outlast Russia to book historic Davis Cup final berth
A pulsating tie went the way of Canada, who defeated Russia to ensure they will contest the Davis Cup final for the first time.
Canada won a thrilling tie against Russia to seal a place in the Davis Cup final for the first time on Saturday.
Russia prevailed in a deciding doubles tie-break in an epic contest with Serbia a day earlier but were unable to repeat the trick as Denis Shapovalov and Vasek Pospisil made history for Canada.
The duo secured a 6-3 3-6 7-6 (7-5) triumph over Andrey Rublev and Karen Khachanov in Madrid, despite Pospisil having received treatment on a shoulder injury prior to the final set.
It marked the culmination of a memorable tussle, in which Russia struck first when Rublev earned a fourth singles victory of the week with a 6-4 6-4 win over Pospisil.
CANADIAN HISTORY. @denis_shapo and @VasekPospisil defeat Khachanov/Rublev 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5), sending Canada into the Davis Cup FINAL with a 2-1 win over Russia.— Tennis Canada (@TennisCanada) November 23, 2019
It’s a first-ever @DavisCup final for Canada. Wow. pic.twitter.com/XFCK1GRtjh
That meant Shapovalov had to defeat Khachanov to keep Canada's hopes alive and things were not looking good when the Russian raced into a 4-1 lead.
Shapovalov rallied brilliantly to take the opener, but succumbed when serving to stay in the second at 5-4 down.
A tense decider went the way of Shapovalov, who celebrated a 6-4 4-6 6-4 victory in a match featuring 73 unforced errors.
Spain or Great Britain, who contest the other last-four tie, await in the final.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 stimulus check updates today: third payment, dates, eligibility, Biden, negotiation, live
- CORONAVIRUS Third stimulus check update: $1,400 payment in Biden relief proposal
- REAL MADRID UK media suggest Bale set for Madrid return next season
- CLUB WORLD CUP Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why do Manchester United get so many penalties? Rashford points to Mourinho advice
- NBA Why is Kyrie Irivng currently absent from the Brooklyn Nets?