FC Cincinnati head coach resigns amid investigation of racial slur
Ron Jan joined the team back on 4 August 2019 and after less than a year as head coach he has resigned prior to the beginning of the 25th season of the MLS.
Shocking news for FC Cincinnati only a few weeks ahead of their second season in Major League Soccer as their head coach, Ron Jan, resigned amid an investigation into his alleged use of a racial slur in front of a group of players last week.
The 61-year-old allegedly used the N-word while singing a song during a training camp in Arizona and on Tuesday the club released a statement that it was the best decision for both parties while the investigation is ongoing.
“As Major League Soccer’s investigation unfolded and some themes emerged, Ron offered his resignation and we agreed that it was the best course of action for everyone involved with FC Cincinnati,” team president Jeff Berding said.
The investigation started after the incident when MLS Players’ Association executive director Bob Foose released a statement on Tuesday saying that the narrative of Jan singing along to the lyrics of the song are completely false and accused him of creating a toxic atmosphere within the players.
“We place the utmost importance on a strong culture within our club, beginning in our locker room, and that every person connected with FC Cincinnati feels valued, respected and trusted. Racial and cultural diversity is a major part of what makes the game of soccer so special, and we place the highest priority on respecting every person involved in our game. This includes absolutely everyone associated with our club, from our locker room and front office, all the way to our fans,” Berding said.
Who will replace Jan
For the moment Yoann Dament will take the role as head coach of FC Cincinnati ahead of the beginning of the 25th season of Major League Soccer. Cincinnati will make their debut on 1 March, when they visit New York Red Bulls at the Red Bull Arena.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem