Casillas confirms house searched amid tax fraud investigation
The former Real Madrid goalkeeper and candidate for Spanish football federation's presidency said he is "completely calm" after his house was searched.
Portuguese football was rocked on Wednesday morning when reports of a wide-ranging tax fraud investigation spread. Police carried out a series of nationwide searches with a number of high profile football club's offices being targeted including Porto's club offices and the home of some of their officials.
Esta mañana la Fiscalía lusa ha venido a mi domicilio en Oporto, como ha ido a otros 76 domicilios de sociedades deportivas, jugadores y clubes, para pedirme documentación. Me he puesto a su entera disposición. La TRANSPARENCIA es uno de mis principios.— Iker Casillas (@IkerCasillas) March 4, 2020
Another player targeted during the searches was Iker Casillas, who released a statement on Wednesday evening to confirm his house was searched by police and tax investigators. "This morning, Portuguese tax authorities came to my home in Porto," the statement said. "Like they did to 76 homes of players and clubs to ask me for paperwork. I put myself completely at their disposition. TRANSPERENCY is one of my principles."
The former Real Madrid goalkeeper and current candidate for the role of president of the Spanish football federation says he is not concerned with the investigation. The operation is entitled "Fuera de Juego" and is investigating "football business carried out since 2015" with the focus being on actions taken to avoid paying tax to the state of Portugal.
Along with Casilla, Porto confirmed their were searched along with the chairman of the board of directors, Sporting Club Portugal and Sporting Braga along with the homes of Jorge Mendes and players Jackson Martinez and Danilo.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption