Coronavirus: Flamengo chief who visited Real Madrid tests positive
Flamengo vice-president Mauricio Gomes de Mattos met with Real Madrid and Barcelona chiefs on a trip to Spain two weeks ago.
Flamengo vice-president Mauricio Gomes de Mattos, who was part of a delegation that visited Real Madrid and Barcelona chiefs in Spain two weeks ago, has tested positive for the coronavirus. An employee in the Brazilian club’s marketing department, who was also on the trip, has likewise been infected.
Flamengo VP met with Madrid and Barcelona chiefs in Spain
The pair were in Spain in late February and early March as Flamengo directors attended Madrid’s Clásico win over Barça, meeting up with Los Blancos’ president, Florentino Pérez, and Blaugrana bosses such as sporting director Éric Abidal.
Gomes Mattos (seen to the right of Pérez in the top photo), who has been in hospital in Brasilia since Thursday, travelled to Spain in a Flamengo group also led by president Rodolfo Landim and Gustavo Oliveira, the club’s marketing vice-president.
On 28 February, they were hosted at Valdebebas, Madrid’s training ground, by the general manager José Ángel Sánchez and club scout Juni Calafat, two men with whom they have a close working relationship in the wake of the recent deals to take Vinicius Júnior and Reinier Jesus from Flamengo to the Bernabéu.
Flamengo take anti-coronavirus measures after positive test
Last week, Gomes Mattos flew with the Flamengo squad to Colombia for the Rubro-Negro’s 2-1 Copa Libertadores win over Junior. The director came into contact with players, ex-players, members of the coaching team and other staff, a fact which has forced the club to take urgent measures to avoid the spread of the coronavirus, including testing the entire squad for the disease.
Te recomendamos en English
- George Floyd George Floyd: George W. Bush speaks out on racism and protests in US
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- BLACK LIVES MATTER What is the Black Lives Matter movement and when did it start?
- BLACKOUT TUESDAY How did the 'Blackout Tuesday' social media initiative come about?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Is there a deadline to approve a second payment?
- George Flod Protests What did Trump say about Antifa and the riots?