Barcelona players to accept pay cut as coronavirus hits revenue
Barcelona president Josep María Bartomeu has spoken to senior players, who understand the situation and are willing to take a drop in salary.
Barcelona’s players won’t offer up major opposition if club chiefs finally ask them to take a pay cut due to the financial impact of the coronavirus.
Barcelona players understand situation
Talks on the issue between senior dressing-room figures and Barça president Josep María Bartomeu have been positive, as the players understand that the suspension of almost all football in Europe is already leaving clubs across the continent counting the cost of significantly reduced income.
Covid-19 to incur "irretrievable" financial losses at Camp Nou
Amid the ongoing pandemic, football teams are not only being forced to do without gate receipts and television money, but also other income relating to sponsorship, the sale of merchandise at in-house stores, visits to club museums and revenue from other events held at stadiums.
During a Barça board meeting held at the start of the week, directors were told that the losses incurred as a result of Covid-19 would be “irretrievable” and that the club are likely to have to adjust the 1.05-billion-euro annual budget approved by Blaugrana members at September’s general assembly.
Conversations with the squad are at an early stage, but there is a clear willingness on both sides to come to an agreement. However, a final deal will not be possible until it becomes clearer when and if the 2019/20 season will be resumed, and under what conditions.
Other news you may be interested in:
Covid-19 in Spain has mutated from original virus - full story
Why 'Spanish Flu' got its name - full story
Ex-Real Madrid president Sanz dies due to coronavirus - full story
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem