Coronavirus: Which US states have made face masks compulsory?
Amid the coronavirus pandemic, several states in the US have now made it mandatory for citizens to wear a face covering if they leave the house.
Several states in America have now made it compulsory for citizens to wear face masks if they leave the house, as the nation battles to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
More than 40,000 Covid-19 deaths in US
The United States has been the pandemic's worst-hit country, having registered nearly 770,000 cases and over 40,000 deaths at the time of writing.
Face masks now mandatory in seven American states
According to CNN, seven states in the US have so far ordered people to cover their faces in public spaces. They are:
(To find out each state's exact face-covering requirements, click on its name.)
Starting tomorrow, all New Yorkers MUST wear a cloth face covering or a mask when out in public and in situations where social distancing cannot be maintained. pic.twitter.com/rncWmNjyZ0— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) April 16, 2020
How to make your own mask
Although surgical masks and N95 respirators are most effective at protecting the wearer from the virus and preventing them from spreading it, healthcare workers are being prioritised when it comes to the distribution of medical-grade face coverings.
However, cloth masks can either be bought or made at home. They do less to shield the wearer from infection, but “slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others”, says the US’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Wearing a cloth face covering CORRECTLY can help prevent the spread of #COVID19 to others. When you go out on essential trips, follow these “do’s”. If you have a child, remember those under age 2 should not wear a face covering. See https://t.co/lxWMe4NUBD. pic.twitter.com/TB20kazwbZ— CDC (@CDCgov) April 15, 2020
Live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
Recommended in English
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- SOCCER Copa Libertadores Final Flamengo vs. Palmeiras: preview, times, TV and how to watch online
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SOCCER 2022 World Cup inter-confederation play-off draw: fixtures and format
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?
- BARCELONA Xavi wants Ousmane Dembélé to stay at Barcelona