Real Madrid: Rayan Cherki green light after Lyon season ended
As Ligue 1 drew a line under their 2019/20 campaign, Lyon were dealt a massive blow by missing out on the Champions League. But this opened a door for others.
Unlike those in Spain, Germany and England - at least for the time being - the FFF and LFP agreed to bring Ligue 1 to an end due to the ongoing crisis caused by the coronavirus. The decision saw PSG handed a third consecutive title, something that was inevitable anyway, but not all clubs are as satisfied, including Lyon who, after being denied a lucrative European spot next season, have decided to take action.
Ligue 1 decision not an end for Lyon
The top flight club announced on Friday that they will take legal action against the LFP for damages, among other arguments being put forward. This strategy is designed to minimise the loss in revenue that they face by missing out on UEFA’s continental competition in the 2020-21 season, ending in seventh place, something that could also have an impact on their star players.
Real Madrid have eyes on Lyon
There are a number of highly rated players in the Lyon squad, and their release clauses can be triggered in case that the team failed to qualify for the Champions League, something the club were confident of achieving when the deals were made. One of those, Rayan Cherki, is a youngster full of promise, and already on the watchlist of Real Madrid.
He may only be 16 years old, but as AS has reported previously, he is one of those plying their trade in France that Los Blancos have been monitoring closely. Zinedine Zidane is an admirer and he renewed his contract with Lyon just last summer, at the age of 15, until 2022. He is a playmaker who is already the youngest in history to score with Lyon.
Headlines were made by Cherki in January, back when VAR was the biggest of our concerns, as he scored a brace and set up another two in the round of 32 of the French Cup. Now his future could be far from Lyon...
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem