Stimulus check US: Married couples filing jointly will receive $2,400
The IRS uses information from your most recent tax return to determine whether you're eligible so your tax filing status will affect how much you receive.
On 27 March President Donald Trump signed the CARES Act into law and as of mid-April the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has sent approximately 90% of the total amount of the first round of stimulus checks to millions of Americans who need financial support during the coronavirus pandemic.
Married couples filing jointly are eligible to receive a combined payment of $2,400 and if they have dependent children under the age of 17 listed on their tax return, then they will receive an extra $500 per child, up to a maximum of three.
That said two single people or married couples filing separately can receive $1,200 each. However, marital status can play a role when it comes to whether you receive the full amount you’re eligible to collect, because there are different income limits based on your marital status.
IRS sets CARES Act income criteria
The IRS has stated that the combined income for married couples filing jointly has to be less than $150,000 per year in order to get the full stimulus payment of $2,400. If combined annual income exceeds $198,000 then a couple will not qualify for the CARES Act and the only stimulus payment they are eligible for is the $500 for children under 17.
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system