What is Donald Trump's position on a second round of stimulus check payments?
The Democratic party have proposed for another round of $1,200 stimulus checks to help cope with the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Democratic party have made it clear they would welcome another round of help for the economy with further direct payments to individuals in the form of stimulus checks and earlier this week, House Democrats, led by speaker Nancy Pelosi announced their plans for a another round of stimulus legislation, worth some $3 trillion, called the Heroes Act.
Despite U.S. president Donald Trump apparently expressing a degree of support for a follow-up package to the March CARES Act and the "interim" bill worth $484bn passed last month, he recently stated that he would "absolutely" consider another round of stimulus if it is needed despite fellow Republicans urging more caution on the matter.
Upon being asked in a recent press conference on the possibility of an additional stimulus check, Trump responded: "Something could happen, there is talk of something happening, but you know what the greatest thing would be....to get our country open again, get it going again so people could have these great jobs again".
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy of California however immediately panned the Democrats' bill, stating that Republicans were not consulted on its contents and that its policies are untenable.
"While Americans are searching for answers, House Democrats are releasing a liberal wish list that has no chance of becoming law, as even Democrats and the media acknowledge," Mr McCarthy said
Senator John Kennedy (Louisiana) went even further with his views stating: "Well, people in hell want ice water too" when asked about the plans, while Steve Scalise reportedly called any strategy for monthly payments a “radical socialist” idea.
- Stimulus check: when will a decision be made on second payment?
- How to track status with Get My Payment IRS portal
- Stimulus check: Direct-deposit deadline passes on Wednesday
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Solskjaer needs defender to step into Maguire's shoes
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool boss Klopp explains perceived spat with Mané
- FA CUP Which team has won most FA Cup trophies? Full list of winners
- NBA NBA: Giannis Antetokounmpo forced to cut back on muscle-flex celebrations
- CORONAVIRUS NEWS Covid-19: further doubts over origins of coronavirus
- Coronavirus Where won't you have to wear a mask after the vaccine and in what cases?